PaperDoll Feature Request/Question

Welcome Adventurer… Forums Development Desirable Features PaperDoll Feature Request/Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EvilSpock

Hello! My name is Chris. Right now I’m working on a book and I’m loving the new PaperDoll functionality. Good stuff.

Anyway, my question is: From within an item’s usage reference, is there any way of knowing what main reference the reader is at? I’d like to have an item that is only useable at certain references. I don’t want it to be too obvious, so the reader must click on the item to use it. I have a work around, but it would be very convenient if the current reference is stored in a variable somewhere.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

EvilSpock

hosted
    Keymaster

Um, holy crap, sorry for taking so long to reply Chris, I literally just noticed you have published a book and was pretty excited since this is the first real full attempt (other than my own) I’ve seen on the site so far, so immediately came to see if you had any questions!

Short answer is no, not yet, though that is exactly the issue I am working on at the moment. It is difficult because as things stand ABML and SEL are more or less wholly independant of each other (the definitions of one do not rely in any respect to the other). At the moment it looks like I may have to provide some kind of environment variable definition for ABML invokation of scripts, which as I hope you can appreciate requires some pretty serious thought. There are also other options which I am exploring, but tbh environment variables are the most likely answer, unless I can come up with a DOM and everything that that implies (dream on…).

I need this very functionality for adventures I have input which have items that require a reader to turn to a reference based on the current reference. There is a forthcoming ‘applyscript’ or similarly named attribute for tt and tti tags which will allow script modification of the reference attribute, which immediately led me to think of this situation.

I hope the recent upset with my ongoing utf8 struggles haven’t upset your work, if they have I do have backups of data from the 13th and 22nd if you need any recovery done.

Let me know when you are satisfied with your adventure, I will publish a notification on the main banner announcing it 🙂

hosted
    Keymaster

(I am assuming your workaround involves setting a permanent variable on each page with the special case and a set of if tags in the item usage reference or something similar – I can appreciate that feels pretty clumsy)

hosted
    Keymaster

Just my first observation – the newrules reference has no backlink to the main index – since the system doesn’t allow use of the back button anybody reading the new rules gets stuck and must abandon the adventure!

EvilSpock

Thanks for the input on the newrules page, I’ll have to look into that.

As you probably noticed, my book is still very much in development, so it really shouldn’t be published right now. I’m going to change my page zero so people know this just in case I leave it published again.

You are correct in my work around. I’ve set up a variable myself to keep track of the current reference, and then check the variable in the usage reference. It’s not so bad; I just have to cut and paste the code for each reference and I’m getting used to doing it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Chris

Beeblbrox
    Keymaster

Hi Chris

I have made the current reference available to SEL as part of a new reserved array @argv. Specifically you will want $argv[0], e.g. The current reference is: <info info=”$argv[0];” />

This echos typical programming command line argument interfaces, but I’m sure you knew that. the Current Reference is the only @argv element so far, though I expect this functionality will come in useful for other values at some time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Straight outta Blacksand

Skip to toolbar